The Busy Girl: Balancing Life, Work, & School



Being the “busy girl” isn’t cute. 

We live in a society where if you aren’t going non-stop then you’re lazy. That is the biggest lie and I’m someone who is so guilty of believing it.

College is a lot. At least for me, thankfully I had teachers in high school that prepared me for college, but I’ve had a few encounters here with those who are struggling course load wise.
                                                                                                              
We need balance in our lives and days where we take a breath.

I have all my classes before noon, except 1. It’s at 2 on Tuesday, Thursday and it’s the only way it would work for me. It’s one of my least favorite to go to because of it’s time.

What I am about to say may make some of you immediately stop reading but bear with me. Classes before noon are the way to go. I understand if you’re not a morning person, but even a 9am or 10am is nothing compared to an 8am. 

This semester I am taking 15 hours, next I’m taking 17, and I work part time. If you want to work through college (which is something totally do-able) then stacking classes are helpful.

For example, I typically go to class till about 10 then I have an hour to eat and get ready for work before having to clock in at 12. That makes it where I’m still getting a good number of hours, whereas the days I can’t go into till 4, I’m not getting as many hours.

Getting hours may not sound the best but trust me on pay day it’s worth it. If you are having trouble meeting people work is also a great way to get out and meet more people. 

BUY A PLANNER. It doesn’t matter if it’s a $5 or $55 any will do. Pick a day, mine is always Sunday afternoon after church, maybe watch a show/movie, and then sit down and plan my week. 

While you’re doing this, it may feel like a waste of time, but when your brain stops function at its best mid-week, you’ll be grateful for this.

Study. This isn’t high school anymore, barley getting by doesn’t cut it here. College is the major league so don’t be playing like you’re in the minors. You will have to open a book… shocking I know. My favorite observation as of yet is, for about the first 4 weeks of the semester the dorm was always loud and lively, especially on party night, however now it’s quite a bit calmer. The game got real and those who can keep up and those who couldn’t were discovered. (Sorry for that extended sports metaphor, I’m not even a sports kinda gal).

Don’t push yourself too much but make goals. If long term goals are too much, then make weekly goals and aim to hit them.

Don’t hate on yourself when you didn’t do that one thing. For me it’s working out, I’ve skipped quite a few workouts I promised myself, but it’s not the end of the world. Especially when you take into account the number of miles you trek on campus.

Take time for yourself, I’m serious about this one. Budget a certain amount of money (budgeting that’s another huge part of my life now) a month for you. Go see a movie with a friend, go get your nails done (that was my late birthday present to myself on my day off today), or just treat yourself to whatever. 

If spending money isn’t an option (budgets can be rough) then go on a walk, find a quiet place (we have the nicest little duck pond by our dorm that is so peaceful), or watch a Youtube video to get your mind to settle a bit.

Don’t overdo it, seriously, being busy isn’t a lifestyle. It will take a toll on your mind and body.
I will be honest, my job deals with people daily, and some days can be hard and exhausting. I’m sure my roommate can testify to the fact that I’ve walked into the dorm in a horrible mood after work. 

Also, don’t “get through”. I’m as guilty of this as the next person. I’ve said “I just have to make it through this week” “this semester” “this year” “these next four years” and that’s not a way to live either. 

Everyone’s balance will be different, schedule your week around you. If any of you ever have any questions about classes, scheduling, working: just let me know. I will do my best to answer them.

Another thing, sometimes it takes trial and error to figure out what works for you, that doesn’t make you a failure either. This semester I took two classes online, one being a lab (I personally don’t recommend) and I discovered that I am not someone who online classes are good for. I would never have known this if I didn’t take one. Will I take another one in my college career? Probably, but I know not to do it in something that I struggled with i.e Bio. 


With all that being said be gentle to yourself: you’re learning, growing, and kicking butt.

Comments

Popular Posts