What You Need to Know for Your Senior Year of High School


If you're reading this it means a chapter of your life is closing.
You are about to start your senior year of high school. If you are anything like me, you are probably a ball of nerves. I've compiled a list of things you should know/be doing to try and ease any worries you may have.
 1. Know that time really will Fly By.
I never really believed anyone when they would say this. I was convinced that the year would drag on and on. But, the crazy thing is it didn't. Before I knew it we were on thanksgiving break, then Christmas, then it was Spring Break, and somehow out of nowhere I was on a stage accepting my diploma. I had spent so much time wishing it all away.
2. Say Yes to More Things
Don't get me wrong I am an introvert through and through. I love to be on my own and it's so easy to say no to going out or going to just chill with friends. My senior year I made an effort to create more memories with the people who made me happy.
3. Scholarships: Do Them
Scholarships can be really helpful, do them. Even the small ones, because they can add up to a lot. Make sure you also double check them to insure you have all the required information.
4. Apply to More than 1 or 2 Schools
I only applied to 2 schools and luckily got into both. However, as I will explain later my top school didn't work out and having more than 1 school left to choose from would have been nice.
5. Apply Early Admissions
This will not only raise your chances of getting in, the fee can be cheaper, and you will find out before Christmas where you got accepted and start the decision making process.
6. Sometimes Things Don't Work Out
My first choice for college ended up not working out because of tuition. Really look at the tuition and if it's something you're really willing to take on. For me personally $45,000 a year was something I couldn't take on. It might not be an easy choice to make but I know my future self will thank me.
7. Community College isn't Such a Bad Idea
I argued for hours with my Dad about Community College. I told him how I hadn't worked to hard in AP classes, extra-circulars, and over all trying to be well rounded not go to a 4 year University like I wanted. However, when that first bill comes you understand why people opt to go to Community College first to get their basics. But again everyone has the option to decided.
8. Not Knowing What you Want to Do is Okay
I still don't know what I'm going to do and that's okay. Don't get hung up on it. People change their majors all the time, so breathe and just focus on graduating.
9. Follow the New Student Checklist
Most colleges have a New Student checklist outlining everything you need to get handled before things get started (i.e. meningitis vaccine, deposit, TSI, advisement). The deposit and vaccine are pretty important due to the fact that if your school is like mine, you don't get put on the "list" until certain things are turned in (the list says you're going to that school and decides which room-selection time slot you get) not a lot of people knew this. So you get to pick a room based off when you submitted everything. Also, make sure that there isn't a roommate selection date cut-off. I had no clue this was a thing until after the deadline closed, I was lucky though and still got a super awesome roommate though!
10. Breathe
This year can be super stressful and you're in this weird in-between stage of having one foot out the door and one still here. But, try to remain in the now. Love on your family, make time for your friends, realize that there are a lot of last occurring and make the most of them. Take a lot of deep breathes and know that the end is a lot closer than you may think so stop wishing the time you have now away.


I thought I'd also ask some of my other favorite Grads what their advice would be:

"Go out and do the things you want to do. Take this moment to experience new things and meet new people."

"Find some close friends who help you through life that's about to happen, because it's TRUE life is about to get hard."

"Time literally flies by, take a lot of photos, step out of your comfort zone, become friends with people who you didn’t talk to all of high school because they may become really good friends, be a lil rebellious, and lastly hold onto your friends tightly."

Thanks for Reading!! If you ever have questions or just need advice just send me a DM on Instagram!! 

Comments

Popular Posts