Wait. You Did What?

Audio Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxRHCuHRClc
No offense, well let’s be honest what I am about to say could be offensive. I have learned when things are true it typically makes people more sensitive.

No but in all seriousness let’s talk about dating, oh yeah, that topic. If you know me personally this should be interesting as you try and guess who might fit into what topic.
Dating really isn’t the right word to describe what our generation thinks dating is, so if anything this should be entertaining if nothing else.
I don’t know about your family, but mine insist on sitting down to dinner together. And almost every night my love life, or lack thereof makes its way to the conversation or the, as my Dad refers to them, idiotic terms to describe phases in a relationship, bringing with them a great deal of laughter.
Before I continue I should note our family is super close and if you don’t  have thick skin you may want to think of getting a name change. Many famous lines and responses have included:
“Dad you don’t get it we’re just talking”“So you don’t like him? I think I missed something… Wait is this another stupid way of saying you’re dating, but not. Can’t you just speak like a normal person.”
“I think they’re ghosting me and I have no clue what to do.”“Hey, I think I know this one. This is where they stop responding to you, right? Ha. Knew it.”
This ladies and gentlemen is how most conversations go and then a new topic is almost immediately picked up.
For some reason guys can bring out the worst in all of us, we’ve all been there. To assure you that you’re not alone if you’ve ever had a momentary lapse in judgement: here’s a few of my lovely breaks in my sanity…
I was once talking to a guy who loved quotes, like literally knew more of other people’s words than his own… He would quiz me asking if I knew who said this or that, and me well wanting to seem impressive, I would convince him my wifi was slow in order to get more time to race to google in an attempt to find the owners of said quotes. Yeah, I did that. No, I am not proud. The cringiness is still fresh and this was a long time ago.
This one we have all done, don’t lie. Stalking everyone on their profile. I’m not talking about simply scrolling through a few pictures (oh and heaven help us if we double tap a picture over two months old, if it’s over a year, goodluck…) I’m talking FBI level, searching the people who liked their photos and going so far to the point you know not only his first, second, but also his third cousins. Nothing like a woman full of curiosity and the power of the internet.
Or there is the whole ignoring every warning sign and red flag screaming: HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND. Starts talking to you and then all of a sudden isn’t into that “social media stuff”, huh... or how most stories that appear recently included an ex-girlfriend, I guess the ex part was confusing for him. Or how he doesn’t do pictures, “I don’t look great, just not feelin it ya know?” Yeah nothing like a guilty text at 1 a.m. confessing the girlfriend of 2 years he has.
Oh! There was that one time a guy was super into Hockey, so much so that I proceeded to learn a game I had no interest in to carry on a conversation. I’m talking players (first and last names) their stats and different plays. At least it didn’t go as far as me buying a jersey- those thing are stupid expensive.


My point is that no matter where you are at in life we all make dumb choices or disregard our sanity at times, but we have to be confident in who we are.
Guys aren’t the only ones who can cause these reactions, wanting to fit in or be liked can have the same effects, maybe not at cringey ones though.
It’s funny now in hindsight, now that I know I don’t have to pretend to be something I’m not to get a guy or an opportunity I want. I’ve learned that just worrying about me in this season of my life is what I need and looking back I can not only laugh about my ridiculous choices but also learn from them.
I hope you enjoyed the brief overview of my dating history, scary isn’t it. Haha, share what you think and thanks for sticking around!

Comments

  1. Hehe. Love this one! But one day, Mr. Perfect for You will show up, and if he survives a family dinner or fifty (and treats you like the treasure you are), he may just be accepted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts